Job Description Title: PROFESSOR, LIBRARY SCIENCE (ONLINE LEARNING)
Job Category: Faculty
Employee Group: Faculty
Time (Percent Time): 100%
Term (months/year): 11
Current Work Schedule (days, hours): as assigned
Salary Range: Step 1-9
Salary: Salary: Initial placement $61,750 – $98,643.
Health & Welfare:
*SALARY & BENEFITS:
Salary: Initial placement $61,750 – $98,643.
The College contributes $10,500 toward annual premiums for medical, dental, vision, and life insurance coverage. Lifetime retirement benefits provided for eligible retirees.
The District participates in the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS) and State Teachers’ Retirement System (STRS) retirement programs.
*Subject to change based on Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Department: Library & Learning Resources
Open Date: 05/10/2013
Closing Date: NOTE: Deadline to apply is 4:00 PM PST on the Closing Date. (Read all posting details and Application Procedure.) 06/10/2013
Open Until Filled: No
Essential Duties/Major Responsibilities:
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Coordinate the identification, implementation, and promotion of innovative technologies to develop and deliver instruction and reference services to on-campus and online learners
• Integrate the Library’s curriculum, instruction, reference, and collections into the College’s online environment and learning management system
• Provide information competency instruction in-person and online through credit courses, customized instruction sessions, workshops, tutorials and other modes of instruction
• Develop print and web-based instructional materials
• Provide instruction-based reference services in-person and online
• Manage online databases and digital resources
• Lead and participate in the assessment of library instructional activities and library services objectives
• Participate in collection development and curriculum review
• Perform other librarian duties as assigned
• Participate in department and division meetings
• Participate in professional and co-curricular activities, e.g. College committees, student activities
• Late afternoon and/or evening assignments may be required as part of the regular contract
Minimum Qualifications/ Education & Experience:
A. One of the following awarded/conferred from an accredited institution:
1. Master’s in Library Science, or Library and Information Science; OR
2. California Community College credential, “Valid for Life” (no longer issued), authorizing service as an instructor in the appropriate discipline (If meeting qualifications with this credential, a copy of the valid lifetime credential AND transcripts must be submitted with the application.)
B. Commitment to the community college goals/objectives of providing quality programs and services for students with diverse abilities and interests; personal qualities to work effectively and sensitively in a multicultural environment; awareness and commitment to the special needs of non-traditional students
C. Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written English
Equivalencies for this position have not been established at this time.
• Master’s Degree in Library Science or Library and Information Science from an American Library Association accredited library school
• Experience with using technologies, such as social media services, virtual reference, and mobile technologies, to inform library users and fulfill library functions
• Experience with providing information competency instruction in-person and online
• Experience with providing instruction-based reference services in-person and online
• Experience with developing instructional materials in print and web-based formats
• Familiarity with the use of learning management systems, such as Blackboard and Moodlerooms
• Familiarity with the management of online databases and digital resources
• Familiarity with the assessment of library instruction and library services
• Familiarity with collection development principles and practices
• Ability to work in a collaborative environment both inside the library and across campus departments
• Willingness and ability to work evening and/or Saturday assignments as needed
License(s) & Other Requirements:
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
The incumbent may periodically be required to get to a variety of locations. If operating a vehicle, employees must have the ability to secure and maintain a valid California driver’s license.
Instructions re: Confidential references:
The required Letters of Recommendation are not required to be confidential, meaning the letter is sent directly to HR by the author and not to be viewed by the applicant. If your letter provider prefers to send a confidential letter, please follow these instructions and notify your letter provider directly.
Instructions: To submit a confidential Letter of Recommendation, you must enter the letter provider’s name and email address in the fields provided under the “Confidential Reference Letters” section of the application.
NOTICE: In order for your letter provider to receive an email with a link to attach a confidential letter of recommendation, you must complete your application and reach the status of “Under Review by HR”. It is recommended that you complete your application and reach this status as soon as possible well in advance of the deadline to provide your letter provider ample time to attach the letter.
It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to assure that all required and any optional documents are attached by no later than 4:00 PM, PT, of the closing date shown on the job posting. The system will close the position on the deadline and the application will not move forward if not certified and submitted before the deadline.Your application must be complete, certified, and submitted before the deadline.
Conditions of Employment:
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This position is a full-time, tenure-track, 11-month contract position that begins in the regular academic year 2013-14. Placement on the salary schedule is based on formal education, full-time and/or part-time teaching, and related work experience, up to a maximum placement at step 9.
Official offers of employment are made by the Mt. San Antonio College Office of Human Resources and are made contingent upon Board approval. It is also required that a final offer of employment will only be made after the candidate has successfully been fingerprinted and clearance for employment is authorized by the Office of Human Resources. Costs for fingerprinting services shall be borne by the candidate.
Typing Certificate Requirements:
Apply between May 10, 2013, and 4 PM, June 10, 2013. Paper applications are no longer accepted and incomplete packets will not be considered. Applicants must submit all of the following materials online at http://hrjobs.mtsac.edu to be considered for this position:
1. A Mt. San Antonio College online application
2. A cover letter indicating how qualifications and required experience are met and addressing the applicant’s philosophy of teaching
3. A detailed résumé that summarizes educational preparation and professional experience for the position
4. A minimum of three letters of recommendation (do not use social media or professional networks as a means to provide letters of recommendation or any of the required documents)
5. College and/or university transcripts showing the awarded/conferred degree to meet required educational qualifications (unofficial transcripts are acceptable at the time of application; however, copies of diplomas are not accepted in lieu of transcripts.)
Please note: A confirmation number will be assigned when your application packet indicates the supplemental questions have been answered and a document has been attached to each required link. Assistance with the online application process is available through the Office of Human Resources at 1100 N. Grand Avenue, Walnut, CA 91789-1399. Human Resources: (909) 274-4225. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Foreign Transcripts: Transcripts issued outside the United States require a course-by-course analysis with an equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the filing deadline.
For more specific details about the responsibilities of this position, direct inquiries to:
Dean, Library & Learning Resources Division
Dept. Chair, Library
A committee will evaluate applications, taking into account breadth and depth of relevant education, training, experience, skills, knowledge, and abilities. Interviews may include a writing sample, committee presentation, teaching demonstration, and/or performance test. The committee will recommend finalists to the College President for a second interview. The number of vacancies is dependent on student enrollment, College resources, needs, and Board of Trustees’ approval. Beginning date of employment August 23, 2013.
TRAVEL POLICY: Costs associated with travel in excess of 150 miles one way from residence for the purpose of an interview will be reimbursed up to $500 maximum. Relocation costs will be borne by the successful candidate.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
The required letters of recommendation are not required to be confidential but if your reference prefers to send a confidential letter, please follow these instructions and notify your reference directly. To obtain a confidential letter of recommendation, you must enter the reference’s name and email address in the fields provided under the “Confidential References” section of the application.
NOTICE: In order for your reference to receive an email with a link to attach a confidential reference letter, you must complete your application and reach the status of “Under Review by HR”. It is recommended that you complete your application and reach this status as soon as possible well in advance of the deadline to provide your reference ample time to attach the letter.
It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to assure that all required and any optional documents are attached by no later than 4:00 PM PST of the closing date shown on the job posting.
It is the policy of Mt. San Antonio College that harassment is prohibited and that all persons shall receive equal employment and educational opportunities without regard to sex, race, color, ancestry, religious creed, national origin, age (over 40), medical condition (cancer), mental disability, physical disability (including HIV & AIDS), marital status, sexual orientation, or Vietnam Era Veteran Status. This nondiscrimination policy covers Family and Medical Care Leave and Pregnancy Disability Leave. Contact the Office of Human Resources if you need any special accommodations to complete the application process at 909.594.5611, ext. 4225.
Mt. San Antonio College is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Cancel RTF Policy:
WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO RE-OPEN,
RE-ADVERTISE, DELAY OR CANCEL FILLING THIS POSITION.
THIS RECRUITMENT MAY BE USED TO FILL FUTURE VACANCIES.
Quick Link http://hrjobs.mtsac.edu:80/postings/2443