Head of Access and Collection Services (Full-Time Regular)
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world’s brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Caltech Library seeks an innovative and collaborative Head of Access and Collection Services who will lead the Library in providing seamless access to local and collaborative collections in support of research and learning at Caltech. Under the supervision of the University Librarian, this position will be responsible for the effective daily operation of the Sherman Fairchild Library facilities and services, including circulation, technology lending, course reserves, security, and facilities maintenance. The Head also oversees DocuServe, the Library’s highly-regarded interlibrary loan and document delivery service, and is responsible for coordinating acquisitions and collection management, electronically and physically, in all six Caltech Library locations. This position is also responsible for ensuring a friendly and welcoming environment that is conducive to learning, discovery, and collaboration and looks to best practices in customer outreach and program development in other fields and sectors for inspiration. The Head of Access and Collection Services supervises a team of 12+ FTE, including librarians and staff.
– Serves as a member of the Library Leadership Team (LiLT) and actively engages in the administration of the Caltech Library.
– Strategically develops circulation services, inventory management, interlibrary loan, on-demand purchasing, digitization, and document delivery.
– Provides strategic leadership and serves as the point person for resource sharing and consortial partnership policies and practices. Explores and develops new partnerships, including shared print opportunities.
– Recommends best practices and implements workflows to maximize value of partnerships and provide superior access to library resources whether owned, licensed, or borrowed.
– Provides strategic direction for all acquisitions and collection management activities, both print and electronic. Oversees the ILS as part of Library’s collection access strategy. Works closely with Research Services librarians and the Digital Library Development team in the development of this strategy.
– Serves as coordinator for assessment efforts for access and collection services at Caltech Library. Analyzes library statistics and makes recommendations related to services, staffing, and other areas.
– Communicates and works effectively with librarians and staff across Library units to improve and coordinate services.
– Engages in Library, Institute, and professional service and development.
– Stays abreast of current best practices and innovative trends with regard to all areas of Access and Collection Services, including service development and academic learning spaces.
– Performs other duties as assigned.
– Master’s degree in library and/or information studies or other related advanced degree.
– 3-5 years of library experience in an access services and/or acquisitions related role.
– Supervisory experience in a customer service setting.
– Working knowledge of resource sharing technologies.
– Demonstrated ability to successfully manage complex projects across organizational boundaries; strong analytical skills.
– Excellent written and oral communication skills.
– Extensive (10+ years) academic library experience.
– Experience working on local or national committees, user groups, or other organizations to discover and advance common interests.
– Knowledge of trends and best practices in resource sharing and/or e-resources acquisition and management.
– Familiarity with data analysis tools (Excel, Tableau, or other).
– Experience in project management and/or workflow design.
– Cover Letter