Reference and Instruction Librarian (Full-Time Temporary)
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world’s brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Caltech Library seeks a technically adept, forward thinking, versatile academic reference and instruction librarian to plan and deliver innovative reference and instruction services and to manage electronic and print collections in the humanities and social sciences. The incumbent actively participates in the creation of a library of reusable lesson plans, learning objects, and assessments based in the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy. The successful candidate will be a service-oriented information professional who will deliver excellent information services to the Caltech community. As a member of the Library’s Research Services & Instruction team, this position will regularly interact with faculty, research scientists, students, and administrative support staff. Reporting to the Head of Research Services, this position will contribute to the Library’s instructional, reference, and institutional repository programs. S/he will work with subject and functional specialists in a team environment in an atmosphere of innovation, collaboration, and shared values for service excellence at every phase of the research life cycle. This is a six month temporary position with the potential for extension.
– Provide general reference assistance and library research consultations in physical and virtual setting.
– Develop and conduct information literacy instruction sessions aligned with ACRL frameworks.
– Develop integrated assessments for lesson plans and uses assessment data to improve practice.
– Develop online and print research and instructional materials, including but not limited to LibGuides and LibAnswers Knowledgebase.
– Participate in outreach and programming to engage students, faculty, and staff.
– Manage and review submissions to the Institutional Repository based on established workflows and guidelines.
– In conjunction with others in the Library, provide support for the Division of Humanities and Social Sciences.
– Perform other duties as assigned.
– Master’s degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited graduate program.
– Experience providing reference service in a library setting.
– Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication.
– Demonstrated success working both in teams and in self-directed assignments.
– Experience in teaching or training.
– Demonstrated proficiency with general office productivity software including Microsoft Office, Excel, Google Docs, Google Sheets.
– Experience using Springshare’s LibGuides, LibAnswers, and LibChat modules.
– Experience using Integrated Library Systems.
– Successful experience providing virtual reference service via email and chat.
– Experience searching scientific journal databases such as Web of Science.
– Demonstrated experience teaching bibliographic management tools such as Zotero or Refworks.
– Cover Letter