The Robert E. Kennedy Library at California Polytechnic State University (Cal Poly) is recruiting a creative, collaborative, and user-focused librarian for the tenure-track faculty position of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences Librarian (Senior Assistant Librarian or Associate Librarian rank). We are seeking someone who embraces the learn-by-doing culture of our institution; who will provide dynamic, comprehensive, and meaningful support to the College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences (CAFES) through innovation and collaboration; and who understands the important role the library plays in supporting teaching, learning, and research at Cal Poly. This librarian serves as the college librarian for CAFES and will be responsible for connecting the library’s programs, services, and resources with the college’s students and faculty to advance teaching, learning, research, and scholarship.
The College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Sciences is the second largest of Cal Poly’s six colleges with nine academic departments that offer 15 Bachelor of Science degrees and five Masters of Science degrees. The college currently enrolls over 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students each year and is ranked fourth in the nation for agriculture degrees awarded to Hispanics, and fourth for all minority students studying agriculture, according to Diverse Issues in Higher Education. CAFES is recognized for its hands-on, Learn by Doing educational environment, and as a center of excellence in applied sciences through responsive scholarship, leadership, and service to others.
Reporting to the Associate Dean for Academic Services, the Agriculture and Environmental Sciences Librarian develops and leads the services and programs, as well as selects relevant information resources, to support the curricular and research needs of CAFES’ users. Responsibilities include instruction and research assistance, outreach and liaison services, collection development, and programmatic support activities. The Agriculture and Environmental Sciences Librarian works collaboratively with the other librarians and library staff to provide related services, including support for Geographic Information Systems (GIS), data management, scholarly communication, and faculty exhibits.
The Agriculture and Environmental Sciences Librarian will be part of a team of faculty librarians and staff who are committed to providing programs, services and resources to advance student and faculty success. This librarian will be an effective advocate for the library in the instructional and research programs of the college, as well as an effective teacher who uses creative pedagogical strategies in the classroom, virtually, and through extra-curricular activities. The Agriculture and Environmental Sciences Librarian will engage in collection development practices that support the curriculum and research in agriculture and related disciplines. This librarian will demonstrate effective communication, collaboration, and organizational skills, and will have a record of being an independent self-starter, as well as a highly collaborative team player.
Librarians at Cal Poly hold faculty status and are expected to demonstrate outstanding professional performance; engage in professional development, research, scholarship, and creative activities; participate in service to the library, the university, the California State University system, and/or the community; and contribute to a collegial and productive work environment.
At California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. Bringing people together from different backgrounds, experiences and value systems fosters the innovative and creative thinking that exemplifies Cal Poly’s values of free inquiry, cultural and intellectual diversity, mutual respect, civic engagement, and social and environmental responsibility. Cal Poly’s commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. California Polytechnic State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
- MLS from an ALA accredited program or comparable academic library experience with related advanced degree.
- Bachelor’s or graduate degree in a relevant discipline, or, 1-2 years of experience providing professional services to STEM disciplines in academic or research library.
- Three years of relevant library experience.
- Demonstrated outstanding verbal, written, and presentation skills.
- Experience in developing, delivering, and assessing instructional programs.
- Familiarity with issues and trends in information literacy, particularly as it relates to STEM education.
- Experience evaluating, selecting, and maintaining print and digital library collections.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the literature and information resources in agriculture and related disciplines.
- Ability to handle multiple projects and redefine priorities in a rapidly shifting environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively in a fluid organization.
- Excellent creative, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to provide research assistance and reference services.
- A strong service ethic and ability to employ effective interpersonal skills to form strong connections with faculty and students.
- Ability to articulate genuine enthusiasm for working with students and faculty and for this position.
- Record of advancing diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging.
- Capacity to engage in the research, scholarship, and creative activities required to achieve promotion and tenure.
- Capacity to provide service to the library, university, and/or community.
How to apply
Interested candidates must attach (1) a cover letter, (2) resume/curriculum vitae, and (3) diversity statement. Please be prepared to provide three professional references with names and email addresses when completing the online faculty application. Review of applications will begin February 28, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.