The University of San Diego’s Copley Library is very pleased to announce its search for a Nursing and Health Sciences Librarian. This12-month tenure-track faculty position is a fully embedded librarian position with an office in the beautiful Hahn School of Nursing and Health Science. Please see the job advertisement below.
Posting #: 2561
Position Status: Faculty, Full-time regular
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Copley Library, Faculty
The Helen K. and James S. Copley Library, located on the west end of the campus, currently houses over 500,000 volumes. Collections include books, journals, reference works, databases, government documents, newspapers and electronic journals in many languages, as well as maps, videos, sound recordings, microforms and rare books.
The University of San Diego’s Copley Library seeks an energetic and enthusiastic individual for a 12-month tenure-track Nursing and Health Sciences Librarian position. Reporting to the Dean of the University Library, the Nursing and Health Science Librarian serves as the embedded liaison with an office in the beautiful Hahn School of Nursing and Health Science. The Hahn School is a community of progressive scholars in an intellectually rigorous, research intensive environment. It includes the Beyster Institute of Nursing Research and the Dickinson Nursing Simulation Center and offers the following programs: Master’s of Science in Health Care Informatics, Master’s Entry Program in Nursing, Master’s of Science in Nursing, Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice, Certificate Programs, and International Programs. The School serves 450 students and has 23 full time faculty and 123 part-time faculty members. For more information about the Hahn School see https://www.sandiego.edu/nursing/
The Nursing and Health Sciences Librarian will be deeply engaged in the Hahn School and responsible for cultivating a strong collaborative and consultative relationship with faculty and students through one-on-one in-depth research consultations, collection development, and instruction for graduate programs in both faceto-face and online environments. Teaching responsibilities will include experience with curricula or research support, library research methods classes, course-integrated instruction sessions, online education courses, specialized trainings, and workshops. In addition, the Nursing and Health Science Librarian will assist faculty and students with APA style, altmetrics, impact factors, literature reviews, copyright, dissertation research, publishing opportunities and procedures by locating data sets and statistics, and grant writing research support. The Nursing and Health Science Librarian will periodically present at the Hahn School faculty meetings, as well as serve on Hahn committees. This librarian will be fully integrated in the school and possess the skill set and interpersonal abilities that will allow him/her to professionally get to know the majority of the school’s faculty and students. The Nursing and Health Sciences Librarian will consult with the Digital Initiatives Librarian to promote the Library’s institutional repository and refer the Hahn School faculty and students to appropriate offices and services on campus. This librarian will collaborate on other services and new initiatives with the Hahn School faculty and Copley Library faculty, as well as serve on Hahn, library, and university committees.
- ALA accredited MLS or MLIS is required.
- Minimum three years’ experience as a Nursing Librarian Liaison in an academic library, health science library, or healthcare setting
- Possess an undergraduate or graduate degree in health sciences, medical, or related field
- Conduct consultations in-person, phone, email, and chat
- Significant experience conducting literature searching in health subject areas
- Strong teaching and presentation skills; provides instruction through course sessions, workshops, and online modules on topics
- Significant knowledge of health sciences literature and scholarly communication practices
- Experience conducting research and have an understanding of evidence-based practices
- Demonstrate ability to work in a team environment or individually; able to lead as well as execute collaborative projects and take constructive input from multiple sources
- Experience serving distance education students and faculty
- Adept at learning and working with technology and software packages, such as ATLASti, SPSS, EXCEL, Blackboard, LibGuides, as well as keeping up with emerging technologies
- Experience in conducting outreach and engagement efforts with students and faculty
- Demonstrates evidence of self-motivation, intellectual curiosity and the ability to learn quickly
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills with strong customer service orientation
- Excellent organizational skills, including time and project management
- Record of active membership in professional associations and scholarship (presentations and publications) to meet reappointment, tenure, and promotion criteria.
- A doctorate or an advanced degree in a field related to this position’s responsibilities
- Experience serving as a library faculty member or working collaboratively with librarians
- Ability to engage Hahn School faculty in information literacy outcomes, assessment, and library research methods.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check, to include social security verification and federal/county criminal check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), 24 paid vacation days as well as holidays, education benefits, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website at http://www.sandiego.edu/hr/employment-eeo/new-employees/your-benefits.php and https://www.sandiego.edu/provost/administration/recruitment-and-relocation.php to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. The University assists with moving expenses.
Special Application Instructions:
Click ‘Apply Now’ to complete our online application and, for full consideration, please upload the following documents (please do not send any additional materials):
- Letter of application
- Names, addresses and telephone numbers of four professional references (colleagues, liaison faculty, and previous supervisors)
Questions can be directed to Dr. Theresa S. Byrd, Dean of the University Library, (619) 260-2370, email@example.com.
If you have any technical questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Formal review of application will begin June 15, 2020 and continues until the position is filled. The selected candidate can begin work immediately or arrive by September 7, 2020.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community. Candidates from underrepresented and underserved groups are encouraged to apply.
Best Choice Schools ranked the University of San Diego #1 most beautiful urban college campus in the nation. The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree