Position: Library Technical Assistant III
Position Code: 4249
Department: Armacost Library
Months/Hours: 12 Month/40 Hour
Schedule: TBD, Sunday – Thursday or Tuesday – Saturday, including some evening shifts when campus reopens. Hours vary during May Term and summer months. Hours are subject to change depending on needs of the department.
Starting Salary Range: $16.32 per hour
Introductory Period: Six months
Description: The Armacost Library seeks a collegial and service-oriented person to join our small and robust access services team. Staff and faculty members in access services are responsible for supporting patron-centered service as it pertains to circulation of collections, course reserves, interlibrary loans, managing patron accounts, stacks maintenance and shelving, first-level reference assistance, and general public service in support of students, faculty, staff/administrators, and visitors. Primary responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to: process interlibrary loan requests (borrowing and lending); resolve problems related to interlibrary loan policies, procedures, and services; maintain accurate records of interlibrary loan transactions; understand and maintain copyright compliance for interlibrary loan transactions; maintain working knowledge of interlibrary loan and circulation systems; coordinate and manage all functions of notifying and billing for overdue and lost materials; provide backup support for course reserves coordinator, and provide excellent patron-centered services. All members of the access services team participate in training student staff; contribute to the development of documentation and training materials; and identify opportunities for service and technical improvements. In addition to their regular duties, the person in this position may participate in library-wide committees/teams/groups or projects and will perform other duties as assigned.
The duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinate and perform all functions related to processing interlibrary loan borrowing requests for University of Redlands patrons, including verification of citations, location of requested materials, checking in borrowed materials, notifying patrons, updating transaction status, and returning returnable materials.
- Coordinate and perform all functions related to processing and filling interlibrary loan lending requests for other libraries to borrow Armacost Library materials, including verification of citations, scanning/digitizing print materials, processing materials for delivery, updating transaction status, and maintaining ILL patron files in system.
- Identify and resolve, in consultation with supervisor(s), problems concerning interlibrary loan policies, procedures, operations, and services.
- Coordinate and perform all functions related to notifying and/or billing patrons regarding overdue or lost circulating materials, including interlibrary loan materials; maintain records; and communicate with University Student Financial Services.
- Manage and maintain accurate records for all interlibrary loan transactions; maintain and report copyright law compliance records; collect, compile, and report statistics; and prepare other administrative reports.
- Participates in front desk responsibilities (circulation of library collections, patron services, and supervision of student employees)
- Contributes to access services team by sharing combined circulation/information desk shifts and student supervisory responsibilities, engaging in shared decision-making, and accomplishing related duties as needed.
- Maintains department confidence and safeguard operations by keeping information confidential
- Adheres to all safety and housekeeping policies and procedures
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned or directed
Minimum Qualifications: Position requires a high school diploma or equivalent with at least two years of current, relevant library experience, or a relevant associates degree (or equivalent 72 quarter hours/48 semester hours) with two years current, relevant library experience, and proficiency with an integrated library system (preferably ExLibris Alma). Considerable knowledge of library interlibrary loan and circulation services, systems, procedures, methods and techniques, record-keeping, word processing and software programs. Successful candidate must possess excellent organizational and communication skills both verbal and written; have good independent judgment and a demonstrated ability to set priorities; be able to maintain multiple ongoing tasks on a tight deadline; work cooperatively with co-workers, supervisors, faculty and students. Must be able to competently interact with a diverse population of students, staff and faculty; we encourage those who embrace empathy, self-reflection, and respect of a multi-cultural, diverse and inclusive workplace to apply.
In compliance with The Americans with Disability Act, if selected for the interview process and accommodations are needed please call (909) 748-8040.
To Apply: Submit a University of Redlands Staff application form at https://myredlandsapps.redlands.edu/HRStaffEmployment/. Applications received after the deadline specified on the job announcement will not be considered.