REFERENCE AND INSTRUCTION LIBRARIAN
The Reference and Instruction Librarian offers leadership, vision and eagerness to develop innovative models for information literacy at Whittier College’s Wardman Library. S/he will be part of the campus team that creates a Digital Liberal Arts Center within the Library that will foster independent and collaborative learning. The Reference and Instruction Librarian will investigate and incorporate appropriate new trends in library instruction, reference services, information literacy and the use of learning spaces. The position requires experience with supervision and coordination of interlibrary loan services.
- Designs, develops and assesses the College’s information literacy program, including coordination of instruction for the first year writing program.
- Responsible for the staffing and scheduling of the Information Desk and supervision the part time reference librarian and peer mentors.
- Coordinates and oversees the interlibrary loan program and supervises one interlibrary loan/circulation employee.
- Develops and advocates for the use of instructional materials, research guides, and Web 2.0 resources.
- Provides reference and research assistance to the campus community.
- Participates in collection development activities and helps plan and implement outreach activities to faculty.
- Participates in the Library’s liaison program to academic departments, determined by candidate’s background.
Requires an ALA-accredited MLIS or equivalent degree with 3+ years experience as a professional librarian, academic preferred. Supervisory experience required. One scheduled weekday evening at the Information Desk. Experience as a leader of an academic reference and/or instruction team. Commitment to working in a culturally diverse environment. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Familiarity with III Millennium, MOODLE, LINK+, ContentDM, and LibGuides desirable.
The position is based in Whittier, California. To be considered for this position, please submit your cover letter, resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Whittier College, Attn: Laurel Crump, 13406 E Philadelphia Street, Wardman Library, Whittier, CA 90608. AA/AOE.