User Services/Instruction Librarian
Touro University California
Touro University California, a rapidly growing university offering graduate programs in health sciences and education, has an excellent opportunity for a User Services/Instruction Librarian on our Mare Island campus. The university is part of the Touro College and University System and is located on the northern tip of San Francisco Bay in Vallejo, California. Touro University California is an independent, non‐profit Jewish‐sponsored institution. It has 1,403 students in three graduate professional colleges (Osteopathic Medicine, Pharmacy, Education and Health Sciences).
is not intended to cover every work assignment a position may have. Rather, they cover the broad responsibilities of the position.
Under the general direction of the Director of the Library, manages the Library’s circulation desk and the Library’s circulation, reserves, interlibrary loan, and stacks functions. Working with another librarian, provides instruction and reference to the College of Pharmacy and the Graduate School of Education and selects for and maintains library resources for this college and school. Also participates in general library instruction and reference and in the overall promotion and development of the Library and its services.
Director of Library
are those work assignments which are predominant, regular and recurring.
Supervises and manages the Library’s circulation desk including course reserves; trains and oversees library assistant in processing materials for the reserve collection; handles access privileges for all students, faculty, adjunct faculty, and staff; oversees the management of the library stacks.
• In coordination with the Library Director and the TUC Rabbi, plans semester library hours and publicizes Library hours when finalized or altered
• Manages the circulation and reserve functions and files on the Innovative Interfaces Millennium system including loan rules, patron records, library hours, holds.
• Trains, oversees, and serves as resource to the library assistant in the processing of interlibrary loan/document delivery using OCLC, DOCLINE and Clio. Assists with the processing of interlibrary loan requests as required by workflow. Proposes and monitors the annual ILL budget. Compiles and analyzes ILL statistics.
• Hires, trains, schedules and supervises student assistants to provide excellent and welcoming circulation and information service and appropriate referrals. On call for questions from student assistants during evening and weekend hours.
• Prepares annual budget request for student assistants. Manages annual budget allocations for work study and regular payroll students. Reviews and approves timesheets for work study and payroll student assistants.
• Working with another librarian, provides Library assistance, instruction, and support including orientations, class instruction, reference, and online aids to students, faculty and staff in the College of Pharmacy (COP) and to the Graduate School of Education (GSOE) with a focus on the GSOE’s Educational and Leadership Administration, Education Technology, and Urban Education programs.
• Working with the other subject librarian, identifies, selects and maintains monographs and media in support of COP and the GSOE programs for Educational and Leadership Administration, Education Technology, and Urban Education.
• Representing the curriculum and research needs of COP and the GSOE programs for Educational and Leadership Administration, Education Technology and Urban Education, in conjunction with the other librarians and Library Director, participates in the Library process for the selection, purchase and renewal of databases and journals
• Provides general reference and instruction service. May be required to work evening hours.
• Participates in discussions, decision‐making, and other efforts related to the promotion and functioning of the Library and library services.
• Serves as back‐up to Electronic Resources Librarian to ensure timely and accurate activation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of access to the Library’s electronic resources and website.
• Working with the Library Director, assists with Library maintenance, changes to the Library physical
plant and layout and related services orders to the TUC IT Department and TUC Facilities.
• On an occasional as needed basis, proctors accommodated students taking exams in Library.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES (if applicable):
should reflect who the employee is supervising and what the expectations are.
•Hires, trains, schedules, and supervises the student assistants who staff the Library circulation desk.
is the Education, Training and/or related experience needed by the person to perform the job.
• Master’s degree from an ALA accredited library or information science program.
• Demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrate a strong service orientation
• To be a flexible and productive team member
• To keep abreast of new technologies and changes in areas of responsibility
• Previous work experience in a library preferably in a college or university setting
• Experience with an integrated library system
• Library instruction experience
• Experience with web technologies and electronic resources
• Reference experience
• User services experience
• Work experience and/or educational background related to pharmacy, health sciences, and/or
identify the behavior an employee is expected to demonstrate.
• Is able to provide very good management and supervision of the operations reporting to this position including exercising sound judgment; interpretation and application of library policies; timely upkeep of circulation and reserve data; prompt and courteous response to patron requests; detailed knowledge of applicable Millenium modules; OCLC Resource Sharing and Clio; ability to meet deadlines and multiple demands, and exercise quality control over assigned user services functions.
• Maintains an excellent command of print and electronic library resources for the College of Pharmacy and the Graduate School of Education with special focus on the School’s Educational and Leadership Administration, Education Technology, and Urban Education programs, as well as a good command of other library print and electronic resources relevant to the Touro University California curriculum
• Provides clear, well‐organized subject‐oriented library instruction appropriate to a particular class or program as well as general library instruction.
• Maintains currency of new library resources in assigned subject fields, exercises good judgment about their applicability for Touro University California and makes sound decisions regarding their selection and de‐selection.
• Maintains currency about electronic resources implementation and maintenance in order to serve as back‐up to the Electronic Services Librarian when needed
• Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrates excellent productivity and organizational skills
• Demonstrates effective and productive teamwork with others
• Demonstrates reliability, flexibility and initiative in carrying out specific job responsibilities and as
member of the Library faculty
• Is an able trainer and supervisor of student assistants
• Demonstrates a strong customer service orientation
• Demonstrates sound computer skills including MS Office, web and digital resource technologies
Salary is competitive and commensurate with background and experience. Letters of application, resume, and 3 references should be directed to Search Committee:
Email: Apply@tu.edu Subject: Your Name, User Service/Instruction Librarian
Mail: Touro University California 1310 Club Drive Vallejo, CA 94592
For more information please visit our website http://apptrkr.com/376592
Touro University California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Touro is a system of Jewish‐sponsored non‐profit institutions of higher and professional education. Touro College was chartered in 1970 primarily to enrich the Jewish heritage, and to serve the larger American community. Approximately 19,000 students are currently enrolled in its various schools and divisions. Touro College has branch campuses, locations and instructional sites in the New York area, as well as branch campuses and programs in Berlin, Jerusalem, Moscow, Paris, and Florida. Touro University California and its Nevada branch campus, as well as Touro College Los Angeles, are separately accredited institutions within the Touro College and University System. For further information on Touro College, please go to: http://www.touro.edu/media/