Chiquita Brands International, a leading international marketer and distributor of fresh and processed food products is currently seeking a Senior Research Technologist for their R&D group located in Salinas, California.
The Sr. Research Technologist will perform various tasks to facilitate and support the work and research of professional and technical staff in the R&D group; assist in the development of new products and processes, and perform tests on food products in the area of Fresh-Cut and Processed Fruits and Vegetables.
– As a member of a team, assist in the execution of research projects that include complex processing trials and physical, chemical, microbiological and sensory tests for the evaluation of shelf life and quality of fruits and vegetables, at laboratory, pilot plant and commercial plant scale.
– Under minimal supervision, perform technical assignments as assigned by senior scientists.
– Closely monitor test execution and report results in a timely manner. Assist in the preparation of technical reports.
– Maintain accurate and complete records in written and electronic form.
– Use expertise to sequence daily tasks so that project deadlines are met.
– Contribute to the preparation of standard operating procedures for analytical instrumentation, processing equipment and production processes.
– Assist in the maintenance and troubleshooting of laboratory equipment and keeping inventories of supplies for laboratory use.
– Support other research teams (Agricultural R&D and Postharvest Quality and Safety) as needed.
Required Education: BS degree in Food Science and Technology, Biology, Chemistry, Agronomy or related field.
Required Experience: Minimum of 3 years of applied research experience in fresh-cut or processed fruits and vegetables related projects, preferably in new product development within a fruit and vegetables industry. Experience in scale-up trials is desirable. A Master of Science degree in a related field can be a substitute of professional experience.
Required Skills: – Candidate must be proficient in biology, chemistry, and math/statistics. – Demonstrated knowledge of food processing operations, food engineering principles (including thermal processes), food preservation techniques, formulation of food products, design and optimization of food packaging for fresh and processed products, shelf life studies, sensory analysis, food microbiology, food quality and microbiological safety of fresh/processed produce. – Knowledge of experimental design and nutritional labeling is a plus. – Must be very detail oriented and able to monitor equipment operation and production processes. – Demonstrated ability to work well with precision laboratory instruments, food materials, and chemical substances. – Computer literate, including word and data processing software such as MS Excel, Word and Power Point. Knowledge of Genesis nutritional labeling software and statistical analysis software such as Minitab, Statistica, SAS, etc. is a plus. – Excellent written and oral communication skills to explain results to others. – Must have good problem-solving and organizational skills. – Excellent analytical skills. Attention to detail and able to handle multiple projects in a fast paced, multi-disciplinary environment. – Candidate must be team oriented with strong interpersonal skills. – Must have high standards of cleanliness and be prepared to keep strict hygiene rules. – Capable of physical exertion such as recurring bending and lifting of moderately heavy items; able to lift up to 50 pounds. – Capable of working in refrigerated environments. – Ability to work flexible hours when necessary. – Possess a valid driver’s license.