California Institute of Technology
Search for the University Librarian
The California Institute of Technology (Caltech), a world-renowned science and engineering research and teaching university located in Pasadena, California, invites nominations and applications for the position of University Librarian (UL). The successful candidate for this position will be an experienced, forward-thinking library leader who can ensure that Caltech’s library fulfills its potential to be an outstanding and accessible resource aligned with the stature of Caltech’s faculty and students.
Founded in 1891, Caltech is renowned as one of the world’s premier universities. U.S. News & World Report ranked the Institute as the 10th best university in the United States in their 2013 national rankings. Comprising six primary academic divisions (Biology & Biological Engineering; Chemistry & Chemical Engineering; Engineering & Applied Science; Geological & Planetary Sciences; Humanities & Social Sciences; and Physics; and Mathematics & Astronomy), Caltech enrolls 978 undergraduate students and 1,253 graduate students, with 98% of students placed in the top tenth of their high school graduating class. From its 124-acre campus about 11 miles northeast of downtown Los Angeles, Caltech has made numerous significant contributions toward science; Caltech faculty and alumni have included 32 Nobel Laureates and 57 National Medal of Science Recipients. The Institute manages diverse research programs, including NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), the Palomar Observatory, and the W. M. Keck Observatory. Caltech stands at an exciting moment, as it will be welcoming its ninth president, Thomas F. Rosenbaum, in July 2014. To learn more about Caltech, see www.caltech.edu.
The Caltech library system (the library) comprises five libraries, as well as digital repositories, archives, and special collections. The library is staffed by 22 librarians and other professionals, as well as approximately 11 support staff members and a rotating team of student employees. The library provides an array of services to the campus community, including offering access to academic publications; providing training in academic skills, such as research and grant development; managing computer labs and classrooms; and managing the Caltech Archives, a truly remarkable resource that includes manuscripts, images, oral histories, instruments, and other artifacts chronicling the history of Caltech and the brilliant researchers who have worked there, among them Albert Einstein, Richard Feynman, and Linus Pauling.
The University Librarian reports to the Vice Provost of Research at Caltech and serves as a voting member of the faculty. The UL is responsible for all areas of operations across the library system. The UL will work with the library staff – as well as faculty and staff across the Institute – to provide strategic vision and direct day-to-day operations to ensure delivery of consistent, reliable services to the Caltech community. In this role, the UL will be faced with an array of challenges and opportunities. In summary, s/he will: 1) Lead the library staff in developing a compelling vision and strategic plan for an efficient library system that is aligned with Caltech’s unique stature as a small but world-class institution,
2) Provide the leadership that unites and empowers library staff to deliver innovative and excellent service; 3) Leverage the library’s financial and other resources wisely and pursue additional funding that supports delivery on strategic goals; and 4) Strengthen and expand the library’s participation in collaborative relationships with other institutions that provide economies of scale for library resources
The successful candidate will be a seasoned administrator with the leadership, managerial, and interpersonal skills to inspire and advocate for library-based programs that provide exceptional service and will have a strong understanding of the core needs of a research-focused academic library in the 21st century. Required qualifications for this role are:
- An American Library Association (ALA) accredited Masters of Library Science (MLS), with a secondary Masters or PhD degree desired
- A record of sustained scholarly and professional achievement in the field
- Significant expertise in the sciences or history of science and an understanding of the research environment
- 10 years of progressive administrative and managerial academic or research library
- Demonstrated ability to lead, evaluate and supervise professional level staff
- Experience with administering a complex budget with competing demands for funds
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Experience in presenting and instructing in individual and group settings
- A demonstrated record of innovation and project management in libraries
- Advanced understanding of digital technologies and trends, with significant experience with digital repositories desired
- Skill in advancing digital initiatives and coordinating with information technology units
- Excellent understanding of changes in scholarly communication practices
Screening of complete applications will begin immediately and continue until the completion of the search process. Applicants should email three separate documents: a detailed letter of application; a curriculum vita or resume; and a list of 3 references including complete contact information and a description of the relationship to the applicant to firstname.lastname@example.org Inquiries and nominations can be submitted to the same e-mail address or one can contact the search firm representatives at the address or phone number listed below.
Deborah Hodson and Beverly Brady
1000 Sansome Street, Suite 300
San Francisco, CA 94111
Caltech is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, other eligible veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. Caltech will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
Contact Us: email@example.com