Librarian, Coordinator of Library Instruction and Reference, Library Services
Reports to: Director of Library Services
Position: Regular, Full Time
Salary Range: $48,000-$55,000 per year
FLSA Status: Exempt
Applications will be accepted for consideration until it is filled
Fielding Graduate University is a premier distributed learning institution and the best graduate school for adult learners. Based in Santa Barbara, CA, the position of Librarian, Coordinator of Library Instruction and Reference, is positioned to play a unique institutional role in designing, developing and evaluating forward thinking library instruction and virtual reference services for distance learners. We are seeking a dynamic, service-oriented candidate to identify new and creative ways to enhance student learning and research skills.
The librarian provides group and one-on-one instruction using web conferencing software, to a geographically dispersed community of faculty and mid-career graduate students (mostly doctoral). The librarian creates current instructional content including original tutorials, recorded sessions, LibGuides and slide and video presentations. The librarian promotes awareness of library instruction services to faculty and students and explores, develops, promotes, and evaluates innovative online tools and services.
The librarian demonstrates excellent customer service and provides both quick and in-depth reference service via email, telephone, chat, teleconferencing, or in-person. The librarian also oversees document delivery service and takes on additional special projects as assigned.
The librarian maintains current awareness of database interface changes, distance learning tools and overall developments in library instruction best practices.
Candidates will have:
- Excellent public service and communication skills within a “distributed”/distance education environment
- Knowledge of different learning styles, especially problem-based or activity-based learning
- Subject area expertise in the social sciences
- Ability to contact and interact with library database vendor technical support teams
- Ability to work across Windows and Mac platforms
- Ability to be flexible with projects and work on multiple projects both independently and collaboratively
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Masters degree in Library Science, Information Science, or related graduate degree and a minimum one year post-Masters experience
- Excellent presenter
- Experience teaching and developing library instruction resources
- Experience providing reference service in an academic library environment
- Experience delivering library services online, either synchronously or asynchronously
- Experience working with digital resources and information systems
- Ability and desire to work closely with geographically dispersed faculty and mid-career adult graduate students from a variety of cultural backgrounds and with varying degrees of technical expertise.
- Ability to assess and analyze electronic library resources and technologies applicable to Fielding’s unique culture and distributed learning environment.
Preference will be given to candidates with some of the following:
- Experience with library web applications such as link resolvers and modern discovery systems (e.g. Serials Solutions, Ezproxy, OpenURL resolvers, metasearch engines)
- Web conferencing, multi-media authoring programs, online learning platforms, HTML, presentation software , and web and video creation tools
- Understanding mobile technology and its application in online instruction
- Applying adult learning theory
Desired start date: April 14, 2014. We will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.
To apply, please put the word Librarian in the subject line when you email your resume, a cover letter, employment application and a list of at least 3 professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The employment application can be found on our employment webpagewww.fielding.edu/employment.
Fielding Graduate University is committed to social justice, the principles and practice of diversity and encourages applications from historically underrepresented groups. We offer a friendly, professional environment with competitive salaries and excellent benefits.