Kern Community College District
Under the supervision of the Dean of Academic Affairs and in collaboration with other librarians, this position shall provide reference and information services to students and staff; provide library instruction in a variety of settings; use current and emerging technology in reference and instruction duties; develop and maintain the Library’s electronic and print collection. This position may: instruct students in credit courses; develop, coordinate and assess library instruction and information competency programs for students and faculty; develop and coordinate programs to promote library resources and services to students.
• Provide library reference service to students and staff, including suggestions for search strategies and guidance in the use of electronic, web-based, and print resources
• Provide information competency instruction in an academic environment and library orientation presentations
• Collaborate with librarians to develop surveys and measures to assess library services, resources, and collections
• Collaborate with classroom faculty to integrate library research and information retrieval skills in their courses
• Design and produce research guides, tutorials and other instructional resources in both print and electronic formats
• Serve on College governance committees
• Other duties as assigned
The Kern Community College District provides a maximum contribution to an excellent health and welfare benefits plan. The District also provides life insurance plans for the employee, as well as an 8.25% contribution to the State Teacher’s Retirement plan. Additional types of insurance may be purchased with pre-tax dollars through an IRS 125 flexible benefit program.
Knowledge and Abilities:
• Experience with reference service
• Ability to deliver and promote library services and instruction through the use of new library technologies and social media
• Demonstrated teaching and presentation skills and the ability to communicate effectively with new and experienced users
• Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
• Willingness to work with students having a wide range of skills, motivation, and academic or vocational goals
• Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a college setting
Education and Experience
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS :
Master’s in library science, or library and information science;
– The equivalent. Certain combinations of education, experience, and other accomplishments in the field may be judged as equal to the stated minimum qualifications for this position. Candidates who feel they possess such equivalent qualifications must submit an APPLICATION FOR EQUIVALENCE form. Supporting documents must be included with the completed form.
– A demonstrated sensitivity to students with diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds and students with disabilities.
Note: Degrees and credits must be from accredited institutions (Title V Section 53406). Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an evaluation service.
Note: The screening of candidates will be conducted by a screening committee. The screening committee reserves the right to limit the number of interviews granted. Meeting the minimum qualifications for a position does not assure the applicant of an interview.
Position Number: 01007
Posting Date: 05/14/2014
Open Until Filled: Yes
Position Type: Contract Academic
Minimum Salary: $47,798.81 annually
Maximum Salary: $107,319.17 annually (maximum entry level is $77,097.52)
College/Site: Bakersfield College
Location: BC-Main Campus
Special Instructions to Applicants
First Review of Applications:
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position is filled; but those received by 5:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time) on Wednesday, May 28, 2014 are assured consideration. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
• Completed Online Application for Employment form
• Current resume
• Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
• Statement of personal philosophy of teaching
• Copies of legible transcripts
• Copy of sample syllabi
• List of six (6) professional references – Listed on application form
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the necessary arrangements.
To apply, visit http://apptrkr.com/473333
As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, the Kern Community College District encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply.