San Francisco State University, a member of the California State University system, serves a diverse student body of 30,000 undergraduate and graduate students. The University seeks to promote appreciation of scholarship, freedom and, human diversity through excellence in instruction and intellectual accomplishment.
Classification and Salary:
Assistant Librarian (Lecturer)
Salary: $4,037 minimum, depending on qualifications (monthly full-time equivalent)
The J. Paul Leonard Library, Special Collections & Archives unit seeks a Processing Archivist for a temporary position to arrange, rehouse and describe incoming and offsite archival collections. Position may be up to full-time.
The Processing Archivist for Special Collections will be responsible for assessment, preparation of processing plans, arrangement, description, and management of relocating archival collections from remote offsite storage for housing in the Library’s automated storage and retrieval system, in support of the Library’s Special Collections.
Tasks include creating, editing and encoding finding aids using Encoded Archival Description (EAD) for contribution to the Online Archive of California, creation of MARC21 records, overseeing barcoding of containers for storage and rehousing of archival material, and identifying items for future preservation. The Processing Archivist may also contribute to the planning and development of digitization projects. The Processing Archivist trains and directs the work of processing interns and/or part-time student assistants.
• ALA-accredited MLIS or MIS with specialized coursework in archival enterprise, or an advanced degree in an applicable subject field with archival training.
• A minimum of two years of archival experience processing collections, creating and editing finding aids, cataloging and producing other collection management tools.
• Experience with MARC21 format and Encoded Archival Description.
• Understanding of and commitment to nationally-accepted standards, tools, and best practices for archival processing and description, including Describing Archives: a Content Standard.
• Knowledge of preservation standards for archival materials.
• Demonstrated ability to manage large processing projects.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively, in writing and in oral presentation.
• Equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be substituted as appropriate.
• Experience with collection management software Archivists’ Toolkit, and/or ArchivesSpace.
• Work experience as a supervisor of archival processing assistants.
• Experience with audiovisual formats.
• Knowledge of digital technologies, standards, and best practices.
• Working knowledge of new and emerging technologies related to archival
Resume and names of three references (including address, telephone and/or e- mail address) should be sent to:
Elizabeth Detrich, Personnel Coordinator
J. Paul Leonard Library
San Francisco State University 1630 Holloway Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94132-4030
For more information about the J. Paul Leonard Library, visit http://www.library.sfsu.edu
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Title IV, Section 503 Employer