Reference and Research Services Librarian for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) – REOPENED
The NYU Library in Shanghai invites applications for a STEM Reference and Research Services Librarian in an innovative and forward-looking setting. As part of a collaborative team, the position plays a key role in the educational mission of NYU Shanghai by establishing strong relationships with faculty and students, and connecting them to the services, content and tools that meet their research, teaching and learning needs.
NYU Shanghai is the newest degree-granting campus within the NYU Global Network University. It is the first Sino-US higher education joint venture to grant a degree that is accredited in the US as well as in China. As a research university with liberal arts and science at its core, NYU Shanghai resides in one of the world’s great cities with a vibrant intellectual community (http://shanghai.nyu.edu/). It recruits scholars who are committed to a global vision of transformative teaching and innovative research.
New York University’s Global Network University is established as an organically connected, multi-site network that encompasses key global cities and intellectual capitals. The network has three degree-granting campuses – New York, Shanghai, and Abu Dhabi – complemented by twelve additional academic centers across five continents. Faculty and students will circulate within the network in pursuit of common research interests and cross-cultural, interdisciplinary endeavors, both local and global.
The Library of NYU Shanghai will deliver and coordinate a wide range of academic services that support the teaching, learning and research of NYU Shanghai’s faculty and students. Drawing on the resources of the libraries at NYU New York, the NYU Shanghai library provides an opportunity to create a forward-looking 21st century library program and facility to serve a culturally diverse and academically talented population.
The STEM librarian serves as the primary liaison to a group of academic departments in the area of science, technology, engineering and math, with responsibilities for building collections in all formats that support research and curricular needs; delivering a program of instruction, consultation, and research support services; developing responsive outreach and other information services; and taking a leadership role on projects and initiatives as appropriate. Collaborative work with colleagues at NYU New York, NYU Abu Dhabi, and across NYU’s global network is an important job expectation. Librarians at NYU participate in library and system-wide committees, and professional activities outside of the university.
- ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent graduate LIS degree
- Previous experience in instruction, collection development, or reference services
- High degree of facility with technologies and systems in academic library and information services
- Academic background in a STEM discipline (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) or demonstrated experience in providing science information and education services Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal oral and written English language skills
- Demonstrated history of flexibility, creativity, and strong customer service commitment
- Experience in a research library Familiarity with scientific research, including scholarly communication, publication trends, data management, and corresponding needs of faculty and researchers
- Advanced degree in a STEM discipline or other subject area relevant to the NYU Shanghai academic program
- Experience working in a culturally diverse environment
- Chinese language skills; familiarity with Chinese culture
- Prior international experience
Excellent and generous benefits package which include medical benefits, paid time-off, and relocation assistance.
Salary commensurate with experience.
To ensure consideration, send resume and letter of application, including the name, address and telephone number of three references to:
Enrique Yanez, Director,
Human Resources, New York University Libraries,
70 Washington Square South,
New York, NY 10012
or via email to email@example.com.
Please include where you heard about this position. Resumes will be considered until the position is filled. NYU’s Division of Libraries embraces diversity and is committed to attracting qualified candidates who also embrace and value diversity and inclusivity.
NYU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.