The San Francisco campus of the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising has a full-time opening for the position of Assistant Librarian. Under the direction of the branch Head Librarian this position is responsible for the following library and textiles and materials workroom duties while adhering to the Mission Statements of the Library and FIDM.
– Assist in all Library services; including, but not limited to: reference services, circulation, cataloging, and serials.
– Assist in developing and delivering in-person presentations that integrate information literacy into the curriculum.
– Assist in collection development.
– Answer questions in the library, either in-person, via telephone, or library e-mail.
– Responsible for Materials Workroom; including, but not limited to: organization, collection balance, visual presentation, housekeeping, etc.
– Assist and instruct all patrons in locating materials in the Materials Workroom as well as in the other general / specific areas of Library.
– Assist in organizing the annual Innovative Materials Conference.
– Research new materials for interiors and textiles on a constant basis utilizing trend services, magazines, internet and material shows.
– Update the Innovative Materials Collection, and assist in acquiring new items for annual Innovative Materials Conferences.
– Promote and present the Innovative Materials Collection, including Material ConneXion, in classroom presentations.
– Actively search for new donation resources.
– Provide support of serials check-in and processing of serials subscriptions as assigned.
– Provide support of cataloging and processing of materials as assigned.
– Assist in preparation and maintenance of patron handouts.
– Assist in the maintenance of the costume study collection.
– Assist students in basic troubleshooting procedures on computers, printers, scanners, and photocopiers.
– Participate and provides feedback for the Library’s social media networking sites.
– Assist in annual inventory.
– Perform shelf reading and shelving duties.
– Help maintain the appearance and functionality of the Library.
– Participate in events in support of FIDM or the Library.
– Bachelor’s Degree and enrollment in program and/or course work toward an accredited MLIS.
– Strong communication and presentation skills.
– Computer literate at the intermediate skill level with competency in those tasks determined necessary for the position.
– Knowledge of fiber characteristics, textile names, construction, and use.
– Work experience in an academic library.
– Background or previous work experience related to one of the areas of study at FIDM.
– Some evening and weekend hours required.
Screening begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume, and salary requirements to the attention of:
Brian Seguin, Head Librarian
55 Stockton St., 8th Fl.
San Francisco, CA 94108
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.