Menlo College is seeking an Information Services Librarian to join our team. This is a full-time, 12-month, exempt position, with benefits. Some evening and weekend hours will be required.
Summary Job Description
Reporting to the Dean of Library Services, the Information Services Librarian is responsible for providing reference and research assistance, as well as library instructional sessions, to a diverse population of undergraduates, faculty, and staff. Other duties include reference desk management, marketing and outreach, collection development, and ILS responsibilities.
The following list is intended to be descriptive rather than inclusive.
- Help patrons with their information needs, research topics, research strategies, and evaluation and interpretation of relevant resources while managing and working at the reference desk
- Prepare instructional materials, including subject and course-related web pages, and teach library instruction sessions in a variety of subjects
- Work with the library team on ongoing development and refinement of the Library’s information literacy plan, including its assessment efforts
- Serve as a Personal Librarian in the Psychology Senior Thesis program
- Work within the integrated library system to manage course reserves
- Take part in outreach to faculty to help support their curricular and research needs
- Assist in the selection and deselection of books, journals, and online resources
- Work collaboratively in the development, execution, and promotion of library-related programs, special events, and exhibits
- Work collaboratively in the development of brochures, newsletters, and other materials for print, online, and social media that highlight the Library’s services and collections
- Maintain awareness of new information resources, appropriate technologies, and developments in reference, instruction, and marketing that bear on the Library’s work
- Attend workshops and conferences, as appropriate
- Serve on College committees, as appropriate
- Contribute to special projects of the Library or the College, as appropriate
Qualifications and Skills
- An ALA-accredited MLIS is required
- Experience in an academic or public library
- Library instruction experience
- Familiarity with an integrated library system, preferably OCLC’s WMS; systems management experience a plus
- Familiarity with web design and social media tools; graphic design skills a plus
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and to juggle work duties as necessary
- Strong commitment to excellent public service and user experience
Menlo College is a private, undergraduate college that offers degrees in business and psychology based in the liberal arts. Located on the San Francisco Peninsula halfway between San Francisco and San Jose, the College has an international student body and values a diverse faculty, staff, and administration.
Please submit a cover letter outlining your qualifications for the position, with a resume and contact information for three references. Interviews will begin in July. Applications may be mailed or sent as e-mail attachments to:
Linda Smith, Dean of Library Services
or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
All prospective Menlo College employees are required to satisfy a criminal background check.
Menlo College is committed to a firm policy of equal employment opportunity.