Research Grant Application Process and Forms
Changes to the CARL Research Award
In 2013, the CARL Board of Directors approved a number of amendments to the CARL Research Award. Beginning 2014, the now Research Grant will be awarded every other year. Successful 2014 Research Grant applicants will be announced in December and expected to present at the 2016 CARL Conference. Beginning 2015, an Outstanding Paper Award will be established and awarded every other year.
Process and Forms
The CARL Research Grant was established to provide financial support to encourage CARL members engaged in research and/or publication efforts. A competitive cash sum will be granted to the successful applicant(s). Applicants may apply for grants in the range of $250 to $2,000. Grant amount requested must be justified by a budget. Actual amount granted is at the discretion of the Research Grant Committee, as is whether the Grant is given to any applicants for a given year. The recipients of the grant will be expected to present a summary of the research at the next CARL conference.
- Applicants must be current members of CARL, although an individual or a group may undertake the research. For group applications, all applicants must be CARL Members. Please verify your CARL membership before submitting your application.
- Grants will not be given for research leading to an academic degree.
- The proposed research/publication should be significant to the objectives of CARL as stated in its Bylaws.
Research Award Application
- Part I: Contact Information [download as Word or PDF]
- Part II: Research Proposal [download as Word or PDF]
- Part III: Budget [download as Excel or PDF] – Please note that the CARL Research Grant may not be used to pay for any F&A (facilities and administrative) costs.
Proposals will be submitted to the committee for blind review. To ensure an absolutely blind review, please do not include any identifying information (for example, your name, your workplace name, or citations of publications you've authored) on Part II or Part III of the application.
The proposals will be scored using the following criteria:
- Objectives (1/3) – ideas are fully developed and supported and the desired results are clear.
- Methodology (1/3) – there is an appropriate research design/plan and there is a realistic timeframe for completing the research.
- Significance (1/3) – the research topic is interesting and original, makes a contribution to scholarship, and has an impact on librarianship, library services, and/or library users.
Proposals must be received not later than 5 p.m. on the last business day of September (September 30, 2014).
Please send your application as an email attachment to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research Grant Winners
The CARL Research Grant recipient(s) will be announced and the award presented in December 2014. The CARL Research Grant will be disbursed to recipient(s) upon winning. Reporting requirements and deadlines are as follows:
- A copy of the CARL Research Grant Letter will be sent to the office of sponsored research or equivalent office of the recipient(s) home institution(s).
- Research Deadline: Research must be completed within 12 months of receiving the award.
- Final Report: The Research Grant recipient(s) will provide a final accounting of expenditures. Recipient(s) may be asked to return any unused funds to CARL.
- Public Presentation of Results: At the 2016 CARL Conference, the Research Grant recipient(s) will be expected to present their research results.
Questions about the Grant?
For any questions about the Grant or the application process, please contact Stacy Russo at Russo_Stacy@sac.edu. For questions after submission, please contact